Welcome

Thanks to Matt, we now have this much cooler way of communicating our thoughts on different subjects. So, every Thursday morning, afternoon, or evening come check out the new post!

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Good Samaritan

At one of my Upwards Basketball games this week we were in the last period and there was a pretty big collision in the middle of the lane and a bunch of the girls went down. One of the girls from my team that was still standing reached down to a player from the other team and helped them up. After that happened I no longer cared about what was going on in the basketball game, I was too proud of her actions on the court, her willingness to serve and love on people when they were down. I learn more from those kids than they do from me. She reminded me of the the parable of the Good Samaritan. In that parable a man is beaten stripped and used. Two people walk by in disgust of the man, but the third stops and helps him out, even though he probably had other things he needed to do. This shows one of the two greatest commandments perfectly. It says in Mark 12:31:
The second is equally important: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'

During our game my player had other things to do like come back and get set up on defense, but she took the time to help a person in need. She realized what we struggle to realize as we get older. She would have have wanted that girl to help her up if she fell down so my player helped this girl up, loving her neighbor as herself. We all go through hard times and struggles of our own and we want people to love on us and encourage us as we work through our struggle. The only way people will help you is if you do the same for them. This week look for someone who is struggling, maybe they aren't doing so good in a class or they have some personal problem, be the Good Samaritan and stop to help them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate the gentle reminder that "kindness matters." Keep up the good work--I need all the reminders I can get! --Suzanne C.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kevin Interesting this should be the subject of your blog, cause I helped two people with car trouble last week, one of which was in the pouring rain. I love this verse and always try to think of ways to exersize it. Thanx
Sean